Tuesday, November 28, 2017

idek

I like kids' movies a lot. Mostly because I'm somewhat childish and easily enthralled by simple stories of good versus evil. I like to think that I can still see the world through a child's perspective and I really like children's movie's because I think they carry that magic of childhood that you can sometimes forget.

I think some children's movie do a good job of reminding us that life isn't just a joke for kids. In Journalism last year I remember someone was talking about stress management for kindergartners and someone's response was, "they're kindergartners. What do they have to be stressed about?" But when you're in kindergarten your world is just as dynamic as it is when you're in high school. Maybe you don't have to worry about college apps or standardized tests yet but that doesn't mean you don't have social and emotional issues you have to work out. In my head I equate middle school with literal hell and I know many other people who feel the same way. But I think now that we're out of middle we tend to laugh at the problems and emotions of middle schoolers. We say they don't have real problems and brush them off as whiny preteens but I would rather eat a shoe than go back and have my middle school problems again. That's why I like movies like Coraline, Inside Out, and ParaNorman. Because they kinda remind me to get off of my high horse.

I'm also a fan of the classic unlikely-hero-saves-the-day kind of children's movie. The movies with the deep morals about believing in yourself or following your heart or whatnot. I mostly like these because I'm kinda sappy and I dig all that inspirational crap. Like I even wrote one of my essays about Kung Fu Panda and how it affects my life. I love character development. And while often times a clean cut dichotomy of good and evil doesn't lend itself to a lot of personal growth and discovery for characters, I think it works out in kids' movies anyways. Like in Kung Fu Panda. Each movie Po goes on a whole emotional journey and even if the movie is meant to be comedic and lighthearted, you really see him grow into himself. (I also love to read into things that aren't that deep.) In Whitney Houston's Cinderella, the best Cinderella movie ever made, we see Cinderella come into herself. And we see the same of Manolo in Book of Life. 

Barbie: Princess Charm School and High School Musical, to Kubo and the Two Strings and Charlotte's Web, I think there's a lot about kids' movies that if often overlooked and underappreciated. And while I like a lot of children's movies I do not support movies like Hoodwinked because they are just objectively bad.

6 comments:

  1. I love kid movies too! Kubo and the Two Strings has such good music and animation quality. Do you like watching kids shows like, The Amazing World of Gumball or Steven Universe? They remind me of the good old days of waking up and watching cartoons in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When you're in kindergarten your world is just as dynamic as it is when you're in high school. Maybe you don't have to worry about college apps or standardized tests yet but that doesn't mean you don't have social and emotional issues you have to work out." So true, and well put.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so annoying whenever I see people say what could children possibly be stressed about or something and I think you touch well on why thats bs. Also I love kids movies they are so nice to watch, and I also love animation I just think it's awesome what can come out of it. Also LOL Hoodwinked was absolute garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I totally agree with you about kids movies, and I love them for reminding me there's so much magic in the world. I certainly remember my kindergarten problems. Every state in life comes with new challenges, but I definitely forgot that before this post. Thanks for enlightening me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I really like children's movies and relate to a lot of how they make you feel. For some reason pretty much any animated kids movie makes me cry, and I think it's because the creators do a good job of conveying serious emotional weight, or I just cry really easily. Also, Hoodwinked used to be one of my favorite movies but I watched it recently and have to agree with your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with this post. I love watching kids movies because they are all feel good movies. Whenever I watch them, I usually leave feeling satisfied and my emotions are overall positive. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete